Total Pageviews

Monday, February 26, 2024

Guest House 🏡



Above is a picture of the guest house on Kevin’s parents’ property that we will be living in “temporarily.” Today was closing day for him. I couldn’t be there, but he did call when it was all said and done to tell me everything went fine. When he called, he was taking his cat Mitchell to the vet to have a flea bath before dropping him off here in Waller at the guest house. When I talked to him, Mitchell was in the background very upset. I guess he hasn’t been in a car in years. 

Now I’m here, in the guest house by myself. Kevin will be home in a couple hours. He’s getting more things from the old place, and movers are going tomorrow. I’m a little beside myself, but in a good way. 

I guess I should mention that I understand the controversy surrounding home investors.  A lot of people will say they lowball you, but to that I say, of course they do. They not only bought this house “as-is”, but they got Kevin out of an extremely horrible situation. I didn’t know how much it was eating at him until we started getting serious about each other. It was really destroying him- and I know what it’s like for something to really destroy you. 

One article I found online featured a man who claimed that the home investors took advantage of his mom with dementia and gave her $25K less than the house was worth. If that’s the case, then all he has to do is show any medical records that she has dementia, and the contracts will be void. You have to be of sound mind to sell a house. Something tells me, though, that if I told this guy that to his face directly he’d probably say something like, “My mother doesn’t have an official diagnosis of dementia because she’s able to fake being normal in front of all the medical professionals that we put her in front of.”  My old boyfriend (Arizona guy) used to say stuff like this about his dad all the time. I couldn’t convince him that a person who truly has dementia wouldn’t be able to pull that off. I used to tell him, “Your dad isn’t faking being normal in front of the medical professionals.  He’s faking the dementia in front of you.”  His parents were very manipulative, and a lot of people are- so I wouldn’t be surprised if this guy in the article just assumed his mom had dementia and she didn’t. 

More arguments against this is that they take advantage of people in tough situations, and that they take advantage of people’s ignorance. This is likely true in a lot of situations. But why are people ignorant?  And if someone is in an awful position, they are grateful that there are people to get them out of it plus put money in their pocket. Not everyone knows what to do with a problematic house, and real estate is often an elusive thing to educate yourself about. I was never taught anything about it. I was just yelled at that I’d never be able to do it. 

Also, if enough people find themselves in situations where a home investor is their only way out, then soon this whole country is going to be owned by corporations and no one is going to have their own land. This is a problem that started with the fact that millennials largely can’t afford to buy homes. It can’t be nipped in the bud until the issues that created that situation are addressed. The days where you could just save for a house with one paycheck are gone. 

So basically, I understand all the criticism, I just think that in this situation what he did was best. 

I see such a change in Kevin. He used to be high strung, now he’s chill. I think this is all I have for now, more later. 

1 comment:

  1. Will be interesting to see how the old place is transformed. Will you and/or Kevin be going by to check on the progress or just putting it behind you?

    ReplyDelete