Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 26, 2024

A Fun Sunday

 Ever since I told my mother that Kevin is a vegetarian, she has been repeating this scene from My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Then in the same breath, she’ll ask if he eats shrimp. (That’s because the Greek Orthodox Church doesn’t view shrimp as meat for periods of fasting, but conventional vegetarians do.) It’s because we are going to salt grass for her birthday. Kevin already knows what he’s getting there tho- they do have vegetarian options even though they’re a steak house. 

My mom turns 79 on Thursday, and Kevin’s mom turns 82 tomorrow. They are exactly 3 years and 3 days apart. If my dad was alive, he’d be turning 82 on June 14th. Kevin’s mom was 17 days older than my dad. 

Tomorrow the daughter of my ex boyfriend turns 14.  I don’t miss her father as much as I miss her and her brother. I hope they realize that while me and their dad wanted different things, I’m always there for them. No one tells you how hard it is to break up with a single parent, because you “break up” with the kids too.

Kevin bought his mom a birthday card and signed it from him, me, and Evita. He signed it as if we are a family of three. It really meant a lot to me that he did that. I actually couldn’t believe he did that. It was always so taboo for me to admit I wanted a family with a man and children that I would have never signed a card that way for fear of being criticized. Once, when it was just me and Evita in our old apartment on Beamer, I went to a birthday party for a coworker and signed her card from me, Evita, and the cats. That was the only time. But to sign a card literally for his mother that’s with him and me, his partner, and my kid, is awesome. I can’t describe how it makes me feel. If I sent a card like that to one of my aunts or something, there would be drama. Omg she has a family omgggg. That gesture was so nice and Kevin didn’t even think about it. 

Today I helped him and his team at work early in the morning and then we picked up Evita and went to a nice park. We saw ducks doing mating dances. Then we went for hibachi. Then we went to half price books. It’s starting to get hot outside, but that’s ok. I’m at peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment