Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Seed Ball Gardens

 Years and years ago, I read Food Not Lawns. I have since misplaced the book- might have to get another one. One thing I took from it was a concept called seed balls. Seed balls are one part seed mixture, three parts compost, and five parts clay. Make little balls out of this, wet them until they stick, and toss them anywhere. You can be pleasantly surprised at what comes up. I wanted to do seed balls in my garden here in Waller, but I couldn’t find bags of compost and I couldn’t find gardening clay. So I just smooshed all the seeds together in garden soil, wet it, and threw clumps anywhere. Not real seed balls, but this is what’s coming up:  




The last time I did seed balls was in 2010. I had a picture of Evita helping me make them. In the picture, she is holding a seed ball in her hand and looking at it with a grossed out look on her face. You can tell that her three year old mind is associating it with poop. I can’t find that picture to save my life, but here are some others from the garden that year:  





I recently discovered seed ball clay and compost bags on Amazon. I ordered them, and when they arrive I’ll be making actual real seed balls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment