Total Pageviews

Monday, July 15, 2024

Flowing Creativity


They sell Harry Potter fat quarter stacks in the crafting department at Walmart. I have a goal of setting up an Etsy shop with denim chenille quilts. I have a chartreuse envelope labeled “denim chenille quilt supplies receipts” in which I have receipts for the denim things I’ve cut up (mostly from 25 cent day at the thrift store), 12 spools of gray cotton thread from buy 3 get 3 free spools of thread day at Joann’s, and the receipts from 100% cotton solids. But I have no prints, nor do I have print ideas for the quilts. Then I saw the Harry Potter fat quarter stacks. I got one on a separate receipt for the chartreuse envelope, took them home to wash, dry, and iron, and sat there thinking, I remember fat quarters being bigger things. You can only get 6 squares out of them no matter how you slice it. There are five fat quarters in the stack, so 30 squares for that. When you need 144 cotton squares for a whole quilt. I suppose if I bought two more of these, I technically could make a Harry Potter denim chenille quilt if I alternated them with solids on the front. That would be cool. But maybe the other quilts can have more inexpensive themes. 

Then I got out the old enormous box of beads that Evita and I used to make jewelry with. We used to go to garage sales, and if they had a lot of beaded costume jewelry, I would offer $5 or $10 for “all of it”. They always accepted this offer. We would take it all home and cut it up, which resulted in this enormous bead stash. We made a lot of necklaces, bracelet, and earrings and sold quite a bit. Then I got the idea from my recycling and reusing facebook group to get a styrofoam cone and hot glue all the miscellaneous beads to it for a lovely Christmas decoration. Kevin took me to Joann’s to browse Saturday after my early birthday dinner, and I got one.  There it is pictured on the top of the bookcase. When I went through my bead stash, I saw that it was still enormous. So I got out the stretchy string and started stringing things randomly. I didn’t have wire cutters to do anything with wire though. Pictured on the towel below are the things I “whipped up” while sorting them all out. Even if something looks ugly or dumb, I still make it, because I’ve learned that there is someone out there that will wear it. That ugly chartreuse/lime necklace- honestly one of my deceased aunts would have like that. I might wear it too. 

I always glue the knots and cut the excess string off about 24 hours after gluing the knots. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment