Total Pageviews

Friday, July 5, 2024

Tidbits l

 I got to go to 25 cent day at the Family Thrift Outlet on Hwy 6 this past Wednesday morning!  There was also $20 to be made at the neighboring HEB grocery store for pictures of frozen and refrigerated meat. I bought all the neckties they had at the thrift store, for Evita’s skirt or skirts. As I was walking away with the neckties, I noticed a woman giving me a dirty look. I thought maybe- maybe her husband need to go on interviews and needs a tie?  So I asked her. “Do you need to look at the ties?”  She kept glaring at me. I repeated myself and asked again. Maybe she didn’t speak English, but it was eluding me at that moment how to translate what I’d just said. So I stood in line, then put the bag of ties in my car and went to do the meat job at the neighboring supermarket. I went back to the thrift store and picked out some more jeans, including a pair of green jeans!  I’ve been doing great at getting all the colors of the rainbow in denim from this thrift store, but green was a hard find. Perhaps a rainbow denim chenille quilt will be in my future. I think I’d keep that one, unless it was really bad ass- then I’d try to sell it. Maybe. Back in the 80’s, jeans in colors of the rainbow were popular.  I remember thinking they were the coolest thing ever, and asking my mom for purple jeans when I was about nine!  Can’t remember if I got them or not. 

The pattern for the denim chenille quilt on the glory quilts website says the best thread color to use is gray  so I went to Joann fabrics where spools of 100% cotton thread was buy three, get three free.  So I spent $35 on $70 worth of gray thread  12 spools- 6 large and 6 small.  Came home and wound up seven empty bobbins with the new thread and started cutting apart the ties.  Fewer of these ties were 100% silk with horsehair interfacing. I also took complete inventory of all my 6” squares.  It takes 144 denim squares and 144 quilting fabric squares to make the size quilt that I made each of the ones I made for Evita’s birthday.  I have 390 regular denim squares.  I also have 104 black denim squares, 24 red, 27 orange. 16 yellow, 13 green and 24 purple denim squares.  In cotton quilting fabric for the other side, I have 124 solid white, 105 solid gray, and 66 solid black.  


No comments:

Post a Comment