Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 8, 2024

Happy Grandparents Day


Happy Grandparents Day to all the grandparents. Here’s a picture of my mom giving Evita her old typewriter back in 2020. 

Below are some pics of me and my maternal grandmother. She was born 2 days after Christmas in 1905 and passed away a month before I turned 14 in 1992. She was very quiet and demure.  She was born and raised in Greece, in the island of Zakynthos. She got married when she was 19 and came to America through Ellis Island one year later with my grandfather. Then she had 7 daughters!  

I don’t have pictures of my paternal grandmother. She was very abusive to my father, uncles, and even me. Both of my grandfathers died before I was born. I was always told that my paternal grandfather was “about 50” when he died. Then, on ancestry I discovered his death record. He was actually only 45 when he died. It also said he died from being poisoned. I’m never going to bring that up to my uncles, ever. I believe the death records on ancestry are correct. My dad was only 14 when he lost him- and the death record had the correct year for my dad to have been 14 years old. My dad remembered out loud one time that he had severe stomach pain and seizures.  Sounds like poisoning, no?  

My maternal grandfather was an immigrant and a grocery store owner. A lot of people say I’m a lot like him. He had “wanderlust”, and I do as well. The apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree, even if the apple never met the tree. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment