Total Pageviews

Monday, September 2, 2024

Bobbin Winding

So I finished sewing and clipping the rainbow denim chenille quilt. These pics were obviously taken before I put the two halves together and finished the edges. The next step is to wash and dry it so that it gets the fuzzy chenille look on the denim side. 



I’m very proud of how even my corners are. The next one is going to be black, with black denim on the back and an alternate of black prints on the front. Like I said, my goal is to have an Etsy shop with these. I’m a person who learns by doing. So I’m not sure yet if these are learning pieces or if I will sell these or give them as Xmas gifts. 
With the black one,
I’m going to do twice the seam allowance I did on the rainbow one. The rainbow had half an inch seam allowance all the way around. The black one will have one inch of seam allowance. This will allow more room for error and cause more of a chenille effect. 

The first thing I had to do this morning after breakfast was to fill my bobbins with the good quality gray thread I got BOGO at Joann’s a couple month ago. As soon as I finished the edges on the rainbow last night, I realized all my bobbins were empty. 

I have talked here about a sewing stint I had when I was about 19 years old. At that time, my mom was letting me use her sewing machine. I remember her telling me to let her know when the bobbin ran out of thread, and I didn’t know what a bobbin was. She got angry and demanded to know how I thought I was going to sew if I didn’t even know what a bobbin was. She briefly explained it to me with attitude. There was no Google or YouTube back then so I had to figure it out. I look back on that now, and I wonder why she couldn’t just explain what a bobbin was and how to fill it. Literally, it’s just the bottom thread. It’s a few steps. Back then I wouldn’t have been able to ask her to just explain it to me instead of acting like I was dumb because I didn’t know what it was. If I did, she would have just said that when I was a mother I would understand. Well now I am a mother.  So I guess it’s ok for me to still ask that. 

I wound six bobbins this morning, put five in this thing and one in the machine. I love watching them wind. It’s just so satisfying. Do you know what else is satisfying?  Knowing that I’m capable of doing things and not hanging onto this idea of me that my mother and her sisters had. 


 




No comments:

Post a Comment