Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 5, 2024

25 Cent Day at Family Thrift


The name of the thrift store in West Houston is Family Thrift on Hwy 6. This is the one that charges a different amount every day with Wednesday being the cheapest at 25 cents and Thursday being the most expensive at $2.25. 
My goal is to make denim chenille quilts for an Etsy shop. Kevin is going to help me tally up how much each one costs to make. He’s an accountant (by degree) but I know it’s just one big algebra equation. Algebra wasn’t my strong suit. 

I assumed the thrift store didn’t open until 9 and got there at 9:30. There were already a ton of people. I went up and down the aisles and took every pair of jeans that was long, one tear or no tears, and had legs wide enough to fit my ruler all the way down. As you can see above, the store was a mess. I noticed that several sections were blocked off with sheets. 

I waited in line for 30 minutes. I started conversing with two elderly men who seemed like they were regulars and knew this thrift store in and out. I asked why so many sections were blocked off. He said because of it being 25 cent day. Those sections were open on more expensive days. But 25 cent day was “just the leftovers” ie, stuff they want to hurry to get rid of. Then he told me that the store was only open from 7:30-11:30 on Wednesdays!  You gotta get there early, apparently. That sucked, because I wanted to put all the jeans in my car and then come back and look for things for the family. It was already almost 11:30 when I checked out. 
In the end, my total was $7.04, and this is what I got for that. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment